tiramisu

tiramisu

Thursday 15 September 2005

The White Horse

That was the name of a pub on the way from Oxford city to Headington - The White Horse. Never got around to entering it but the name always stuck in the mind, whenever I passed by that way. Never really stopped to think why. But now that I have given it some thought, I know what subconscious images it brought to mind.

"The" white horse or "a" white horse?... Hmm... I guess the latter makes sense but since I have now formed an association between the visual imagery and the subconscious urge, I'm going to stick with "the" white horse.

A vast expanse of land, ocean, fields, ... just anything, as long as it is expansive. The only condition is that it must be pure. Purity, cleanliness, the endless sameness of matter that is indistinguishable in any one patch from any other. Almost like the purity of "white", like snowfields in Siberia (and now I think of Kira Argounova in We the Living).

The expanse is my playfield. The fact that it is so homogeneous is not disturbing, but rather, encouraging. Now, I am not a gullible kind who'd be easily led by anybody, anything. But I am an optimist so the coast looks refreshingly clear from where I stand, just at the edge of the field.

There must be a way to get to the other end. What might I find there? How long would it take? Will it be worth the effort? Questions, doubts, directions - too many - too much clutter. I'll do without them for now. I'm content to take a few steps unquestioningly and brace myself for the journey ahead. Something makes me feel it's going to be a great ride!

Did I just say "ride"? Of course, that's why the horse. It's white, reiterating the qualities I'm beginning to yearn for.

The homogeneity checks itself in time to give rise to a picture that's becoming clearer by the minute, and I daresay, more beautiful, as I go along. I was probably naive, even impulsive, maybe a little restless too. But I was hopeful, willing to explore, and eager to learn. The white horse, my companion, my guide, my friend, the reflection of my aspiration to see the world, experience the myriad hues, and enrich my soul, will take me there...

*************************************************************************************
"Voici mon secret. Il est très simple : on ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux. "

[Here's my secret. It is very simple: it is only with the heart that one can see rightly; What is essential is invisible to the eye.]

1 comment:

Menagerie said...

Some nice thoughts! The White Horse pub of yours reminded me of my fav pub near school called ' Crazy Horse' and somehow I think I am living to its name too, crazy, meandering, seeking and exploring everything I possibly can...:)